Dr. rer. nat. André Bauer
- University of Chicago, US
- Google Scholar
I am a computer scientist working as a postdoctoral scholar at Globus Labs led by Prof. Ian Foster in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Chicago since November 2022. I am also the founder and elected chair of the SPEC RG Predictive Data Analytics Working Group.
In a nutshell, my research objective is the application of data science across disciplines and domains. To this end, I address the challenges of data analytics clouds from performance engineering, sustainability, and data analytics perspectives. More precisely, my research vision encompasses the following three main pillars:
- Improvement of data analytics methods as well as their infrastructure (i.e., improve performance).
- Development of an automated framework to streamline the data analytics task (i.e., improve usability).
- Raise awareness and support for sustainable data analytics (i.e., improve energy efficiency).
In general, my research interest lies in, but is not limited to:
- Data management: The focus is on FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable) data management and the promotion of publicly available research data.
- Data privacy: The idea here is to exchange data with third parties, preserving the privacy of the data. I am interested in synthetic data generation and homomorphic encryption.
- Data analytic clouds: I am interested in the development, autonomous management (i.e., autonomous scaling of resources), benchmarking of various building blocks of such clouds, and runtime prediction and scheduling of data analytic tasks.
- Data analytics: My focus is on data analytics, clustering, and imputation. I am also interested in benchmarking and developing data analytics methods. In addition, I work on the application of such methods in interdisciplinary projects.
- Sustainable data science: Specifically, this involves the development of an energy efficiency benchmark for Deep and Machine Learning.
Most Recent NewsAn overview of all news can be found at here.
|Mar 24, 2023||I received a Google Academic Research Grant worth $1000.|
|Mar 6, 2023||I accepted the invitation as program committee member at the 12th International Conference on Data Science, Technology and Applications (DATA).|
|Feb 25, 2023||Our research paper “An Empirical Study of Container Image Configurations and Their Impact on Start Times” was accepted at the 23rd IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Internet Computing (CCGRID).|
|Feb 21, 2023||Our research papers “Impact of Prophylactic Preoperative Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump on Early Outcome in Patients with Severe Left Ventricular Dysfunction Undergoing Elective On-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting” and “Association between Postoperative Atrial Fibrillation Recurrences and Interatrial Block by the Time of Open-Heart Surgery” were accepted at the Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon.|
|Feb 14, 2023||Our research paper “Searching for the Ground Truth: Assessing the Similarity of Benchmarking Runs” was accepted at the 14th ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE).|
An Empirical Study of Container Image Configurations and Their Impact on Start TimesIn Proceedings of the 23rd IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Internet Computing (CCGRID), May 2023To be appear
Methodological Principles for Reproducible Performance Evaluation in Cloud ComputingIEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE), Aug 2021
Libra: A Benchmark for Time Series Forecasting MethodsIn Proceedings of the 12th ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE), Apr 2021
Time Series Forecasting for Self-Aware SystemsProceedings of the IEEE, Jul 2020
Telescope: An Automatic Feature Extraction and Transformation Approach for Time Series Forecasting on a Level-Playing FieldIn Proceedings of the 36th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Apr 2020